We Have Storm Flooding and Our Sump Pump Failed in Oakland, Now What?
SERVPRO Can Handle Water Removal from Flood Damage to Your Oakland Home – Call to Have a Crew Deployed ASAP!
While having a sump pump in the crawlspace or basement of your Oakland home gives you added peace of mind during storm season, there can come a time when the system fails. Whether you had an appliance failure or an outage where your sump pump didn’t turn on, you may be in for some flooding and water damage. The good news is that the SERVPRO crew is available 24/7, and we are happy to come out to your home to take a look so that you can minimize the loss and restore your interior to the preloss condition.
Is There Anything I Can Do Until You Arrive?
Until SERVPRO’s Green Fleet arrives at your home to help with flood damage in Oakland, there are numerous measures that you can take to minimize property damage, including:
• If you can locate the source of the water coming in and stop it.
• Always avoid hazards, such as unsanitary water, slippery floors, electricity near the water loss zone, and unsafe structures.
• Put plastic underneath furniture legs or remove furniture to try and prevent rust or permanent staining.
A sump pump failure can happen for several reasons, such as:
• Power Failure – A power outage is the most common reason for a sump pump failure. Many homeowners like to have their sump pump connected to a back-up generator to be activated manually if the main power to the house is off.
• Wrong Size Sump Pump – If the wrong size pump gets installed on your property, you will likely run into issues. A smaller pump is just as capable as the larger sizes. However, a sump pump that is too big will work harder than it needs to, or a smaller sump pump installation might not be able to pull out enough water. Each instance can lead to a shorter lifespan.
• Installation Issues – The sump pump should always be installed according to specific manufacturer recommendations to avoid the potential for severe water damage. If you are not quite sure of the appropriate way to install one, it is better to call in the assistance of a trained technician.
• Switch Malfunction – A switch issue is a common problem with sump pumps, which can happen when it shifts position in the basin, and it leaves the float ineffective.
• Not Maintained – It is often recommended that a sump pump gets tested every few months. Yearly service is also best to ensure that your unit will work when it is needed most.
• Clogged Discharge Line – If the water is unable to exit the property through the discharge line, the sump pump is unable to work. This line must be free from rocks, dirt, and other debris at all times.
• Appliance Defect – While it might be rare, there is always the possibility that your sump pump is defective. It is best to check and test out the pump upon installation to ensure proper function.
Will My Insurance Cover this Sump Pump Failure?
The failure of a sump pump is usually not covered with a standard homeowner’s policy. In many cases, there will be an endorsement, or an add-on, that you can choose to help with a failed sump pump and back-up. It is always best to consult with your home insurance provider to determine what your coverage might be, if any.
What Can I Do to Avoid Water Damage in the Future?
While it is impossible to avoid a natural disaster, you can be proactive about protecting your property. SERVPRO has enough experience to tell our customers some of the things to do to prepare for the future:
• Know the flood risk for your area
• Put together a flood plan in advance
• Make sure that you always have an emergency kit readily available
• Have essential documents stored in a safe and dry place
• Always test out your sump pump and back-up generator periodically
• Choose a restoration team before the disaster even happens
When you have our number handy, you will have access to emergency flood damage services 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We know that a significant storm and flooding event can be overwhelming and devastating. Whenever you have flooding in your home, simply give us a call. We will:
• Remove and dispose of any materials damaged beyond repair
• Dry out any contents or provide pack-out services for off-site cleaning
• Monitor the entire drying process, ensuring everything is dry in a timely manner
SERVPRO of San Leandro has the resources and manpower to tackle any storm or disaster that leaves you with flood damage. Call us at (510) 352-2480, and we can send out a team as soon as possible to get started on an assessment.