A Primer on Kitchen Fires in Oakland
The Facts About Kitchen Fire Damage in Oakland
House fires can happen at any time. Still, according to the American Red Cross, statistics show they increase during the fall and winter months. That is because we are in the peak months of holiday celebrations. Whether small or large, a kitchen is where most house fires are likely to start because it is the one place where heat, electricity, water, grease, and people come together.
What Causes Kitchen Fires?
The most common cause of fire damage in Oakland is grease. Two-thirds (66%) of home cooking fires start with a spark from a frying pan overheating or when someone leaves a pot or pan unattended. Other causes of kitchen fires come from the oven and appliances. Research about home cooking fires from the National Fire Incident Reporting System indicates that grease fires, though, can cause severe injury and extensive property damage. Flames quickly get out of control and spread from the stove, oven, and even microwave to your kitchen decor, cabinets, floor, and walls. SERVPRO highly recommends keeping a small extinguisher handy, preferably one graded for Class A, B, and C fires, located under the kitchen sink to quickly stifle a grease fire.
What are the After-Effects of a Fire?
The combined impact from a kitchen fire comes from intense heat, smoke residue, and moisture from firefighting efforts. Since damage is most severe near the source, emergency services may require tenting off rooms to mitigate the damaging fire effects from spreading, stabilizing electricity or gas, and removing debris.
What Can Be Done?
Depending on the level of damage, contents may be cleaned onsite or packed and moved to a separate location for cleaning and storage. Charred finishes may require structural repairs, and painting is usually a must. Fine soot particles can cling to surfaces, and smoke can infiltrate everything. We use multiple methods of deodorization to remove unwanted scents. SERVPRO has an array of equipment designed to neutralize odors onsite. If needed, we transport contents to our external cleaning facility equipped with an ozone chamber, a drying chamber, and a large, ultrasonic, submersion cleaning tank. This device can safely remove residual caked soot, grease, and grime from knick-knacks to porcelain vases.
SERVPRO of San Leandro restores fire damage faster to your kitchen so you can get back to entertaining and celebrating. Have questions about kitchen damage from fire, smoke, or soot? Call us 24/7/365, including holidays, at (510) 352-2480.
Click here for more information about the City of Oakland.